WHO CAN JOIN BAND AND WHEN AND HOW?
Anyone, every Monday around 7pm at the band shak, show up and rock out.
You don’t need musical experience to be part of band. Even if you come in without knowing an instrument, you can still perform on your very first day with band as long as you’re willing to RTFO and fake it til ya make it. We will teach you how to play and provide plenty of opportunities for practicing with an audience :)
If you’re already an accomplished musician, that’s fabulous. This is a great place to meet other music nerds, learn new songs (or a new instrument!), jam out, and perform as much as you want. If you play something that doesn’t fit into one of the sexions, no problem. The funkier the better, and there’s always a place for you.
There’s no such thing as “joining” band-- you just show up to stuff. It’s that simple. Anyone can come, at any time, to just about any event. If you have questions or are scared of us (ha, you should be) or don’t want to be all alone, shoot your Recruiterz (email@example.com) an email. TL;DR: anyone, any time, just show up.
I’M A TOTAL BEGINNER, HOW DO I LEARN TO PLAY?
- Rehearsals every Monday, 7ATS
- Performances (for real tho, just keep showing up and rocking out until you eventually know what you’re doing)
- Beginner sexionals hosted by your sexion leader
- “This is Music” with Russell Gavin
- Independent practice at open shak
- Online resources (staph is working on this!)
- Lessons with a music teacher-- ask your sexion leader about opportunities to get guidance from a professional
WILL I HAVE TO SPEND MONEY?
Band has all the instruments and uniforms you’ll need, and you will never have to buy anything or pay any fees to be part of the group. We even have complete funding for travel, including both road and air tripz.
WHEN DOES BAND MEET?
We rehearse every Monday at 7pm ATS (ATS means "At the Shak"). It’s a great opportunity to practice your instrument and get to know other band members, as well as an excellent stress reliever and homework break.
HOW MUCH STUFF DO I HAVE TO GO TO?
Band has no mandatory commitment. You can come to as much or as little as you like. The only time you absolutely have to go to something is if you want to play on the field for football, in which case you’re required to attend one field rehearsal during the week and also come to the one on game day. For details, see the Football section.
DOES BAND DO STUFF OTHER THAN FOOTBALL?
Band plays at every home football, basketball, and women’s volleyball game. We also perform at community events on campus and around the Bay Area, both for charity causes and to fund our organization. Previous highlights include upstaging DJ Khaled at his own publicity appearance and shredding guests’ eardrums at Marissa Meyer’s Halloween party. Also any rally with kids. Here’s what we’re up to throughout the year:
- Band run
- Frosh rehearsal
- Some Basketball
- Mutha Fuckin Big Game
- The Rose Bowl! :’(
- Tree Week
- Dollie Day
- Dollie Splash
- Special Olympics
- UC Davis Picnic Day
- Admit Weekend
- Fountain rallies
WHICH SEXION SHOULD I JOIN?
There are eight sexionz:
ABF Drumz (percussion)
Altoz (alto saxophones)
Tenrz (tenor saxophones)
CPG (clarinets, piccolos, flutes, violins, etc.)
Aside from the instruments they play, the sexions are more alike than they are different. Know that you are free to switch sexions at any time-- we encourage people to bounce around different sexions until you find one where you feel at home. If you want an intro to a sexion leader or feel awkward going by yourself, catch a Recruiter and we can get you connected. Also, ABF does do ~low key~ auditions, so talk to Zuski or Dash regarding those. Check out our Frosh Handbook to learn more about our sexions.
WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE ON STAPH AND WHAT DO THEY DO?
click here u won’t: https://lsjumb.stanford.edu/staph.html
WHAT DO ALL THESE WORDS MEAN?
LSJUMB = Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band
RTFO = rock the fuck out
ATS = at the shak
folder = collection of music that we play
trap = don’t go there
rally = non-sportz band performance; also the clothes that we wear to such events
wedged = if you don’t know this you are it
klued = if you know this you are it
DM = drum major
Maples: Arena where V-ball and B-ball happen
AREN’T WE SUSPENDED OR SOMETHING?
Nope! Our current management team has worked super hard to save band so don’t screw this up.
SO CAN I DRINK WITH MY NEW BAND PALS?
Yes, but not at performances or in the shak. Never. Ever. We are not kidding about this and if you fuck up you are out. Band has only recently been removed from a three-year alcohol probation, and management worked very hard to make that happen. This is a very serious rule and there are no second chances.
CAN I PLAY ON THE FIELD?
During football weeks, we also have field rehearsals to practice the formations and music for our field shows. Field rehearsal usually happens at 3:00 pm ATS on Wednesday and Friday, and also on Saturday morning before the game. To go to the football game with band, you need to go to two field rehearsals - Saturday morning, and either Wednesday or Friday.
HOW DOES GAME DAY WORK?
6 hours to kickoff: field rehearsal
3.5 hours to kickoff: eat something / change into uniform
3ish hours to kickoff: the walk (dance around, play at tailgates)
1ish hours to kickoff: head to stadium
20 min to kickoff: pregame and banner
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
Whatever is comfortable for field rehearsal, football uniform for everything after that. See uniform section to know what that means!
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
- Water bottle and sunhat for field rehearsal if it’s that kinda day, onesie or giant sweater if it’s not
- Sunscreen (for the melanin-challenged among us)
- Phone (because we all need some good band selfies in the stands)
- Stanford ID card to get stadium meals
- Other ID card to give as collateral for uniform
- Mental preparation
- No bags allowed in the stadium. You can leave stuff (like field rehearsal clothes) at the shak, but try to find a pocket to stick your phone and ID into.
- No water bottles in the stadium either, but we’ll have some big coolers and cups to keep you well hydrated [droplet emoji] [droplet emoji]
- No drugz or alcohol. Pls. Do not fuck with this.
WHAT ABOUT FOOD?
If it’s a single-digit ATS (before 10AM), there will be donuts at the shak. For day games there’s usually time to grab brunch between field rehearsal and the walk; night game days start late enough that you should have time to feed yourself beforehand. Dinner situation is whatever the stadium has to offer. Band usually distributes meal vouchers to spend at stadium vendors, or you can use a dining plan meal swipe.
- Red Band Jacket or Vest - You can get this from propz in exchange for collateral (like a driver’s license) right before the game. Tööbz and ABF Drumz wear vests, everyone else wears jackets.
- White collared and (preferably) button-down shirt - You provide this, but we have extras! Drumz wear black t-shirts.
- Black pants or leggings - Must be black, must be long enough that they are not shorts (also yours to bring, but let us know if you don’t have anything). Drumz wear white pants.
- Comfortable shoes - Ideally white, but more important that they’re good for walking / running / rocking out. You’ll be on your feet a lot.
- The ugliest tie you can find - Search the shak, there’s a ton floating around. Or make a tie out of your old pset or a shoelace or something.
- Your band hat - You’ll get this at your first game! Take good care of it, decorate it with pins, and never come to sportz without it!
- Vest - you can get this from propz in exchange for collateral
- A white t-shirt
- Jeans or jortz
- Your band hat!
I HAVE A PROBLEM. WHO DO I TALK TO?
- Sexion leader
- Recruiterz, if you aren’t settled into a sexion / don’t feel comfortable approaching your sexion leader
HELP THERE’S A DRUNK PERSON HECKLING/HARASSING ME?
If you are not in immediate danger, smile and wave. If there’s a threat to personal safety, alert your sexion leader, management, Russ, Student Affairs staff, immediately if you find it necessary.
DID YOU GET THE MEMO?